There’s a lot you can do on your own to prevent urinary tract infections (UTIs). Dr. Payal Bhandari, Uqora’s Scientific Advisor, explains habits, diet, and lifestyle changes that can keep you out of the doctor’s office and free of antibiotics.
This video is part of a 5-part series. In the series, Dr. Bhandari explains how you can get a UTI, what you can do to prevent infections and how treat UTIs. It turns out there is a lot you can do on your own to prevent urinary tract infections.
Can’t wait for the rest of the details? You can jump ahead here.
Hello! I am Dr. Payal Bhandari, an integrative family physician practicing in San Francisco, CA since 2005. Urinary tract infections are an extremely common problem among women; causing more doctor’s visits per year than everything but the common cold.
In my last video I explained what increases your risk of getting a urinary tract infection. Now let’s talk about how you can prevent getting a UTI.
There are a handful of ways you can help your body boost its natural defenses against urinary tract infections.
- Stay well hydrated --add a pinch of salt and lemon to your water to accelerate your hydration. Sip warm water all day long.
- Do not hold your urine. Go to the bathroom regularly and flush bad bacteria out of your urinary tract. Make sure you completely emptied your bladder and clean from front to back.
- Take showers instead of baths.
- Urinate after having sex.
- In some people be weary of using a diaphragm, unlubricated condoms, or spermicidal jelly for contraception since they may increase the risk of developing a UTI.
- Try to avoid or dramatically limit consuming items which increase your bladder pH. This includes sugar, processed and pre-packaged ready-made items, caffeine, alcohol, dairy products, red meat and other animal protein, fish, lots of corn, wheat, and potatoes.
- Apply the tincture Barberry root bark around the urethra after intercourse since it is a natural anti-septic.
- Take the over-the-counter supplement, Uqora, a simple drink mix designed to fight off bacteria and improve urinary health when you need it most, like after sex or prolonged exercise. Uqora’s active ingredients hinder bacteria from adhering to the urethra’s wall. Uqora also helps you flush out bacteria quickly and supports the immune system with fighting off UTI’s.
In my next video, I’ll talk about how to treat a UTI.